Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Kathleen Walsh

Painting Demonstration

At the Reception | June 2nd from 5:30-8 PM

To view available works by Kathleen Walsh, please click HERE



In our woods. Sometimes a rare music. -Mary Oliver 

Landscape is my guide, nature the muse. Painting outdoors awakens the senses; melds surprise, consideration and wonder. When considering a painting I wander down by the river, the Rappahannock, which meanders through our town, or out to the Springfield Farm, home of my friends, The Copleys. There, I listen. Silence is the great teacher. When a place draws me in, I make sketches, looking for composition, value patterns, light, point of focus. I take notes, scribbling studies and most importantly determining what I am painting before I paint it. During the winter months these plein air pieces are reworked into larger more complex studio paintings such as the paintings you see in this exhibit. It is a challenge to render the image in an expanded form, working to keep it fresh and alive, yet structured and balanced.




No comments:

Post a Comment