Saturday, August 2, 2014

Trevor C. Davis is our Featured Artist of the Day!

Trevor C. Davis is our Featured Artist of the Day!

Trevor has lived in numerous cities, including Richmond, but calls Williamsburg, VA home. While in Savannah, GA, Trevor earned his BFA in Photography from the Savannah College of Art and Design. He entered college with an interest to study architecture and historic preservation, but soon found his love for photography after taking an introductory course. After graduating in 1995, Trevor moved to Maine, where he was the assistant to a prominent architectural photographer.

Trevor has three photographs in our "Undiscovered." Show, "Machina 9", "Machina 12", and "Clarinet". He has been shooting the Machina Series for about a year and a half, but has always had an interest in macro photography. In fact, his first project in college was a series of macro images of antique tools.

When creating these images for his Machina Series, Trevor uses a traditional approach. In his work, he focuses more on simple manipulations to capture the "spirit of the medium". "My process for creating these is very basic. They are all made with a tripod mounted digital camera, with a 55mm macro lens and sometimes an extension tube to increase the magnification. I use the dining room table, covered with a black sheet, next to a window covered by a thin curtain. I spend about 90 minutes with each image manipulating focus and exposure, and cleaning dust from the subject. Once I am confident in my capture, I put the files into Lightroom. I process until the image looks right on the monitor, but then I finalize it by making a series of prints and correcting from there. Even though these images are made with a digital camera, and it would be easy to use software to manipulate them in many ways, I choose to treat them in a very traditional way; mainly altering the exposure and contrast."

His inspiration for his work in the "Undiscovered." Show comes from his grandparents. Davis explains, "The old typewriters and the clarinet that I have used to make these images, were mostly found in my grandparent’s attic. My grandfather collected these because he loved all thing mechanical... My grandmother was a music teacher and elementary school principal. She spent much of her career collecting donated instruments to use in her classes. This clarinet, I suspect, was broken long before she claimed it. These objects are a link to the lives of my grandparents". He has a strong connection to these pieces because they allow him to study a subject, in which was of great importance to his loved ones. "The lens holds a magnifying glass up to those things that held interest and importance for them [his grandparents], allowing me a closer look."


Visit Gallery Flux today to see his work in our "Undiscovered." Show! We are open until 4pm today! Can't make it in today? Visit our website!



"Clarinet"
Archival Pigment Print
13 x 20 in
$ 625.00 

No comments:

Post a Comment